Bendigo's Heritage Rail Workshop is world renowned for our ability to restore heritage trams in their entirety as well as repurposing trams for various uses or providing customised tram components.
We have all of the necessary skills and resources to assist with your tram project.
Below is more information about the services we offer and appoximate costings.
If you're thinking about repurposing a tram in a creative way, we can help make your idea a reality. Our workshop can design a layout to your specifications and provide a suitable price estimate.
Indicative costs for repurposing a tram are as follows:
- Classroom: $35,000-$80,000
- Playground park shelter: $20,000-$80,000
- Bar: $80,000-$100,000
- Café/coffee outlet (with or without fitted catering equipment, plumbing and power): $80,000-$280,000
To learn more about the basics of tram repurposing/restoration, please click here.
- Tram No. 33 was repurposed into a pop-up bar for Chandon Australia. The tram was featured at Chandon S Chic Easy events nationally throughout Spring 2017. Full details about the Chandon Australia Pop-Up Bar restoration here.
If you have a tram that you would like restored for return to service or even just static display, we can help.
Depending on the condition of the tram in question, restoration of a tram so that it can return to service can cost between $580,000 and $650,000.
Restoration of trams for static display only can range between $30,000 to $90,000.
Recent full tram restoration projects include:
- Overhauling Melbourne's iconic City Circle Fleet. The extensive work that has gone into these restorations has seen them re-classified as a W8 Class tram. Watch this time-lapse of the overhaul process.
- The restoration of Tram No. 7 into our own service fleet as a Vintage Talking Tram thanks to a crowdfunding campaign.
We can source and manufacture a wide range of tram components that are customised to suit your requirements.
Purchase a tram
We have a limited number of trams available for sale. Let us know what you are looking for and we'll see if we can meet your requirements.
Bendigo Tramways Heritage Rail Workshop – Leaders in the restoration and refurbishment of trams and their components.