Bendigo Tramways is an asset of the City of Greater Bendigo and is managed by Bendigo Heritage Attractions.
Bendigo Heritage Attractions, originally The Bendigo Trust, was established in 1970 as a response to the Bendigo City Council's plan to restore, conserve and manage the Central Deborah Gold Mine—which had closed its doors as an operating gold mine in November 1954.
Today, Bendigo Heritage Attractions continues to run the Central Deborah Gold Mine, as well as some of Bendigo’s other cherished historic assets, including the Bendigo Tramways which had operated in Bendigo since 1890, and the Bendigo Joss House Temple which was constructed in the 1860s.
While the Bendigo Tramways, Central Deborah Gold Mine and Bendigo Joss House Temple make up the core business of Bendigo Heritage Attractions, it also has some responsibility for the Bendigo Gasworks which was closed in 1973, and Victoria Hill which is the site of some of the earliest gold workings in Bendigo from the 1850s.
Interestingly, The Bendigo Trust (Bendigo Heritage Attractions) was responsible for the establishment of Bendigo’s first Visitor Information Centre, a service now provided by Bendigo Tourism, and from September 2002 - July 2015, The Bendigo Trust took responsibility for the Discovery Science & Technology Centre, one of the premier regional science centres in the country, and the oldest centre outside a metropolitan area.
Bendigo Heritage Attractions works closely with the City of Greater Bendigo in the running of all of its tourism services. While Bendigo Heritage Attractions oversees the daily operations of these services, it is the City of Greater Bendigo who owns many of the physical assets.
The City owns the Tramways Depot, the Central Deborah Gold Mine and Mining Authority, as well as the Bendigo Gasworks and Victoria Hill sites. Bendigo Heritage Attractions does own our fleet of trams, and has funded or sourced funding for major works at the Tramways Depot, Central Deborah Gold Mine and Bendigo Gasworks.
The Bendigo Trust (Bendigo Heritage Attractions) became incorporated in October 1973, in order to operate the Vintage Talking Tram service and to preserve other aspects of Bendigo’s heritage.
Bendigo Heritage Attractions is organised as a company limited by guarantee, with members from the local community and beyond forming its board of Directors. Bendigo Heritage Attractions is registered as a charity and deductible gift recipient. All donations over $2 are tax-deductible.