Our Tram Fleet

We currently have 15 trams within our service fleet. You can find out more about each of them below.

Download a summary of Bendigo trams from 1903 to 1972 here.

Download a summary of trams within the Bendigo Tramways Fleet from 1972 to present here.


Tram No. 7 Tram-No-7-Bendigo-Tramways 

  • This J class tram was built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company in Sydney for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as Tram No. 76.
  • It was sold to the Electric Supply Company of Victoria in the 1930s for operation at Ballarat Tramways as Tram No. 19.
  • In 1960 it was transferred to Bendigo where it operated as Tram No. 7 until 1972.
  • In December 2017, Tram No. 7 was launched back into service as a Vintage Talking Tram  thanks to a crowdfunding campaign which raised over $35,000 towards its restoration.

 

Full details, including mechanical information,  available here.     Back to top.


Tram No. 8 Tram-No-8-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This Brill car was built in 1903 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Electric Supply Company of Victoria as Tram No. 8.
  • This tram was one of the original twelve electric trams built for the launch of electric trams in Bendigo.
  • It was decomissioned in 1947.
  • Restoration of this tram to its 1903 configuration commenced in 2001 and was completed in 2012 for the 40th anniversary of Vintage Talking Tram Services.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 15 Tram-No-15-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This Birney tram was built in 1924 by J.G. Brill and Co. of Philadelphia in the USA for the Melbourne Electric Supply Company, who were the operators of Geelong Tramways. The tram was flat-packed and shipped from the USA in crates and then assembled in Geelong where it operated as Tram No. 15.
  • Tram No. 15 was transferred to Bendigo in 1948, operating until 1959.
  • This tram is unique among Birney Trams as being one of only two known to have longitudinal seating.
  • Tram No. 15 is now renowned for operating as Santa Tram during the month of December.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.   Back to top.


Tram No. 17 Tram-No-17-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This Toast Rack Tram was built in 1913 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Electric Supply Company of Victoria, who operated Bendigo Tramways from 1903-1934.
  • In 1978, Tram No. 17 was transported to Melbourne to take part in the Australia Day Cavalcade of Transport celebrations. This made it the first Bendigo tram to operate on the Melbourne system.
  • Tram No. 17 is the only tram built especially for Bendigo Tramways that is still in service today.


Full details, including mechanical information, available here. 
  Back to top.


Tram No. 19 Tram-No-19-Bendigo-Tramways

  • Construction on this M class tram started in 1917 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust. However, the tram was unable to be delivered until 1918 because the electrical components could not be obtained due to the shortages of WWI.
  • In 1919 it was sold to the newly established Footscray Tramways Trust, but did not operate as they were unable to open their tramways due to an unavailability of power.
  • It operated throughout Melbourne as Tram No. 183 from 1920 and was transferred to Bendigo in 1935.
  • Tram No. 19 was selected as one of four cars to inaugurate the Vintage Talking Tram service in 1972.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top. 


Tram No. 25 Tram-No-25-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This P class tram was built in 1917 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust, where it operated as Tram No. 27.
  • From 1920 this tram operated throughout Melbourne as Tram No. 133.
  • In 1947 it was sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) to operate at Bendigo Tramways as Tram No. 25.
  • Tram No. 25 was selected as one of four cars to inaugurate the Vintage Talking Tram service in 1972.


Full details, including mechanical information, available here. 
  Back to top.


Tram No. 30 Tram-No-30-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This Birney tram was built in 1925 by J.G. Brill and Co. in Philadelphia USA for the Municipal Tramways Trust in Adelaide South Australia. It was flatpacked and shipped to Adelaide, where it was assembled and operated as Tram No. 301 on the Port Adelaide line until it was closed in 1935.
  • It was purchased for Geelong Tramways in 1936, where it operated as Tram No. 30.
  • In 1947 Tram No. 30 was transferred to Bendigo.
  • Tram No. 30 was driven by His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales on his visit to Bendigo in October 1974.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 44 Tram-No-44-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This E class tram was built in 1914 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust (PMTT), where it operated as Tram No. 44.
  • In 1951 it was sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) for operation at Bendigo Tramways as Tram No. 17.
  • In 1981, under management of The Bendigo Trust, work commenced on restoring the tram to its original PMTT format and livery so it could join the Bendigo Tramways Vintage Talking Tram fleet as Tram No. 44.
  • Tram No. 44 was one of two trams restored especially for the PMTT Centenary in 2010.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 45 Tram-No-45-Anzac-Centenary-Tram

  • This E class tram was built in 1914 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide in South Australia for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust (PMTT), where it operated as Tram No. 45.
  • In 1951 it was sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) for operation at Bendigo Tramways as Tram No. 18.
  • In 2001 it was painted in a gold livery to commemorate the 150th celebrations for the discovery of gold in Victoria, operating in Ballarat until its return to Bendigo in 2005.
  • In 2015 this tram underwent a complete refurbishment and was transformed into the Anzac Centenary Tram.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 84 Tram-No-84-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This B class tram was built in 1917 by James Moore and Co. of Melbourne for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust, where it operated as Tram No. 84.
  • In 1931 it was sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) for operation at Bendigo Tramways as Tram No. 16.
  • In 1975 the tram was made operational by The Bendigo Trust and it ran on special outings from time-to-time.
  • Throughout 2009/10 this tram was restored back to its original California combination format as Tram No. 84, in time for its debut at the centenary celebrations of the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust (P&MTT).

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 302 Tram-No-302-Yarn-Bomb-Tram

  • This Birney tram was built in 1925 by J.G. Brill and Co. in Philadelphia USA for the Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) in Adelaide South Australia. It was flat-packed and shipped to Adelaide, where it was assembled and operated as Tram No. 302 on the Port Adelaide line until it closed in 1935.
  • In 1936 this tram was purchased for Geelong Tramways and operated as Tram No. 29.
  • In 1947 it was transferred to Bendigo, operating until 1972.
  • Each Winter this tram is transformed into the Yarn Bomb Tram.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 369 Tram-No-369-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This H-Type tram was built in 1929 by Pengelley in South Australia for the Municipal Tramways Trust in Adelaide South Australia, where it operated as Tram No. 369.
  • Tram No. 369 was purchased by Bendigo Tramways in 2006 for a mere $1.00, although it cost several thousand dollars to have it transported from Adelaide and a further $17,000 to restore it to its former glory.
  • This tram is better known today as The Blues Tram.


Full details, including mechanical information, available here.
    Back to top.


Tram No. 610 Tram-No-610-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This Y1 class tram was built in 1930 by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) Preston Workshops, where it operated throughout Melbourne as Tram No. 610 until 1965.
  • Only four other trams of this design were ever built.
  • During the late 1990s Tram No. 610 was placed into storage as part of the MMTB's reserve fleet.
  • In March 2005, Tram No. 610 was transferred to Bendigo to operate as a Vintage Talking Tram.


Full details, including mechanical information, available here.
    Back to top.


Tram No. 880 Tram-No-88-Bendigo-Tramways

  • This SW6 class tram was built in 1942 by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) Preston Workshops, where it operated in Melbourne as Tram No. 880.
  • During the late 1990s Tram No. 880 was placed into storage as part of the MMTB's reserve fleet.
  • In March 2005, Tram No. 880 was transferred to Bendigoto operate as a Vintage Talking Tram.
  • In 2014 Tram No. 880 was transformed into a moving art piece to mark the opening of Bendigo's newest hotel, The Schaller Studio.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.


Tram No. 918 Tram-No-918---Dja-Dja-Wurrung-Tram

  • This SW6 class tram was built in 1946 by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) Preston Workshops, where it operated in Melbourne as Tram No. 918.
  • During the late 1990s Tram No. 918 was placed into storage as part of the MMTB's reserve fleet.
  • In March 2005, Tram No. 918 was transferred to Bendigo to operate as a Vintage Talking Tram.
  • In 2017, Tram No. 918 was transformed into the Dja Dja Wurrung Tram to share the fascinating traditions of Bendigo's first people.

Full details, including mechanical information, available here.    Back to top.