Volunteering: Become part of Bendigo's story with us
Click here to download our Volunteer Opportunities Brochure.
Would you like to meet new people, show off your city and be part of Bendigo's nostalgic tram story?
Join our passionate volunteer team, driving, riding, guiding or repairing vintage trams.
Whether you’re new to Bendigo or are part of a family that has been here for generations, Bendigo’s story has a way of capturing everyone’s imagination … the volunteers and staff at Bendigo Tramways, know this all too well.
We're looking for volunteers to help us share our story through these positions:
- TRAM DRIVER: Play a key role in delivering our Vintage Talking Tram tour, private tram charters and special events like The Blues Tram.
- TRAM CONDUCTOR: Greet, direct and help visitors from all over the world whilst assisting the Tram Driver with the operation of the tram.
- DEPOT & WORKSHOP TOUR GUIDES: Guide visitors through Australia's oldest operating tram depot.
- TRAM RESTORATION: Help keep Bendigo's history alive through the restoration of our heritage tram fleet and other refurbishment projects.
- ARCHIVIST: We have hundreds of historical items and documents that need to be preserved and added to our online database.
- GROUNDSKEEPER: Help us with yard work and light maintenance.
- SANTA TRAM HELPER: Do you love bringing joy to children? Do you enjoy getting in character and being the life of the party? Then you'll get a kick out of being Santa's Helper and looking after families aboard the Santa Tram. Full details here.
In the words of our current volunteers...
"You can only check the mailbox so many times in one day. Most of the blokes are all around my age. We are part of a family that get to have a bit of fun."– Ross, Restoration.
"Some of the trams come in a little bit rough but they come up good. Everyone's got work to do and we're busy all the time. It is the friends I have gained that make the work truly enjoyable."– Bill, Restoration.
"I'm always meeting really interesting and friendly people, and it's really good to see their eyes light up when I add a bit more detail to the history behind the tram ride that they are enjoying." – Frank, Tram Driver.
"Working as a conductor, I get to meet a lot of different people and I enjoy telling them about our community, the trams and other tourist attractions around Bendigo."– Des, Tram Conductor.
"I enjoy volunteering within the Archiving team because of the opportunity to combine social interaction with like-minded people, sharing my knowledge, and preserving our history." – Shirley, Archives.
Want to Find out more?