Spend a day exploring Victoria’s cultural hub, Bendigo
Looking for an authentic cultural experience? You can’t beat Bendigo … just ask the judges!
The Australian Tourism Awards were held in February to recognise and promote excellence in tourism, as well as setting a benchmark for best practice across the country.
Bendigo is a great place to visit
It was quite the night for Bendigo, taking home the most awards of any destination on the evening:
- Bendigo Tramways was named Australia’s Cultural Tourism Attraction of the Year.
- Masons of Bendigo was named Australia’s Tourism Restaurant and Caterer of the Year; and
- Bendigo Tourism took home bronze for their Destination Marketing Campaign of the Marilyn Monroe exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery.
The national win comes on the back of a successful year for Bendigo Tramways and our passionate staff:
- We were awarded Victoria’s Cultural Tourism Attraction of the Year for the third year in a row, which saw our team inducted into the Victorian Tourism Awards Hall of Fame.
- We were also awarded Bendigo’s Hospitality and Tourism Business of the Year for 2016 at the Bendigo Business Excellence Awards.
We’re not the only local attraction with Hall of Fame status. Bendigo’s Central Deborah Gold Mine was inducted into Victoria’s prestigious Hall of Fame in the same category of Cultural Tourism in 2013, which means Bendigo has taken home Victoria’s Cultural Tourism Attraction award for the past six years in a row.
If you would like to spend the day visiting Bendigo’s award winning attractions, this itinerary will lead you on a cultural journey of discovery:
A great day out and exciting activities in Bendigo
10:00am = Explore the surface of Central Deborah Gold Mine and try your hand at gold panning!
10:30am = Descend underground on a fascinating Mine Experience Tour
12:00pm = Catch a Vintage Talking Tram from Central Deborah Gold Mine
12:07pm = Hop off at Tram Stop No. 2 (CBD) and walk to Masons of Bendigo
12:15pm = Enjoy lunch at Masons of Bendigo (we recommend booking in advance, closed Sunday and Monday)
1:30pm = Head towards the Bendigo Art Gallery, exploring the beautiful shops in View Street along the way
2:30pm = Enjoy the latest Bendigo Art Gallery offering (closed on Mondays)
3:30pm = Walk to Charing Cross to catch your tram
3:37pm = Continue your Vintage Talking Tram tour
4:30pm = Arrive back at Central Deborah Gold Mine