The Bendigo Tramways have been in operation since June 1890. From that time, the citizens of Bendigo have experienced battery, steam and electric traction as the principal modes of propulsion for their trams. Over the years, the Bendigo Tramways have been owned by various operators who adopted different corporate identities.
Despite these varied names, to most people, the tramways at Bendigo were simply known as the Bendigo Tramways - a name that has endured right up to the present day.
On 11th September 1972, the State Government of Victoria granted The Bendigo Trust permission to operate a Vintage 'Talking' Tram tourist service between the Central Deborah Gold Mine in Violet Street, through Bendigo and on to the Bendigo Joss House Temple at North Bendigo. Since then, the Trust has continued to maintain and operate the tramway and as of 16 October 2010 has now been custodian of the tramways longer than any other operator.